The Mook.Net Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Wii Fit 

Post Wii Fit

Quote:
Wii Fit is going to make Nintendo money by the bucket load. But rest assured there is some pretty impressive substance behind the hype. This is to Nintendo's credit as even a lesser incarnation of Wii Fit would still fly off shelves. But thanks to the high ideals and morals of the Nintendo Corporation (who are we kidding - thanks to their desire to print money), we have a game that delivers on all they ever promised us about lifestyle gaming.

http://play.tm/story/17360

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:27 pm
Benevolent Host

Post Re: Wii Fit
Now, that sounds good, but one thing I wasn't able to find - the stats on the Wii Board peripheral required for all that ... because, maybe I'm being cynical here, but my guess is a fellow of my 'ampleness' wouldn't be able to use the damn thing. :scream:

Spytte to the WoW adventurers.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Mook wrote:
because, maybe I'm being cynical here, but my guess is a fellow of my 'ampleness' wouldn't be able to use the damn thing. :scream:

:rofl: So, are you trying to say you could stand to lose a few (or more than a few) pounds? :smarty: :laughat: :smarty: Well, here's a link to yesterday's announcement confirming the shipping date for Wii Fit:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9919063-1.html

Now as for the weight limit, I haven't heard or seen anything regarding the North American release of Wii Fit. Unless it's been strengthened for the heavier American market, some people will be out of luck.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9857363-1.html

:thewave:

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:10 pm
Benevolent Host

Okay, that is just awesome to me that there was actually a blog out there already thinking along the same lines - this is why I love the internet. 8)

(And no - 300 lbs. ain't gonna cut it for me ... they better put some better shocks on that thing :smarty: )

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Mook wrote:
(And no - 300 lbs. ain't gonna cut it for me ... they better put some better shocks on that thing :smarty: )

Um, okay so let me get this straight, are you saying you're heavier than the average pro football offensive or defensive lineman?

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:46 am
Benevolent Host

LoL - well when you put it like that, I almost sound buff! :rofl:

Let's just say, mathematically, I'm 5 degrees short of a circle. :mrgreen:

Though I am 6' tall.

And have big hands.

:smarty: :googly:

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Up close with Shigeru Miyamoto and Wii Fit

Apr 18 2008
Jeff Bakalar

CNET was more than happy to attend an exclusive roundtable Q&A regarding Wii Fit with Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto on Thursday afternoon at the Le Parker Meridien in New York. Miyamoto led the presentation with an in-depth look at the origin of Wii Fit and the challenges that came along in developing such an ambitious platform.

(Credit: Jeff Bakalar/CNET Networks)

Interestingly enough, Wii Fit was conceived by Miyamoto in the process of his own personal awareness of his body weight. By graphing his weight over a period of time, he was able to see a visual representation of how it fluctuated. With his family encouraging him to keep in shape, Miyamoto did so by creating a personal game out of the whole thing--as a result, Wii Fit was born.

What separates Wii Fit from other "working-out-can-be-fun" concepts is that it creates a game around each person who plays it. Nintendo hopes that this personalized experience will attract people who would otherwise not be playing video games--and we think they're on to something. By making Wii Fit an easy-to-use, practical, and accessible device, it can appeal to just about anyone who can stand on a scale. Wii Fit may not have you dropping pounds as fast as intense exercise and dieting would, but it can definitely make keeping track of your progress a whole lot easier and definitely more entertaining. Miyamoto explained that Wii Fit makes you more aware of your body, which is the first step toward improving your health. Wii Fit is already starting to pop up in gyms across Japan and we'd imagine a similar response here in the states.

Coming off the overwhelming success Wii Fit has already secured in Japan--more than 2 million units have been sold so far--Nintendo is ready to bring the balance board to North America. While Wii Fit has become somewhat of a family sensation in Japan, Miyamoto says he's not sure how an American audience will receive the game. When we asked Miyamoto what he expected from American consumers, he noted that on average, American families are apart more often than those in Japan. A lot of families have parents who have separated or divorced, so it's tougher to predict the role family will play in the American response to Wii Fit--and we couldn't agree more. While there are sure to be families who will scoop the game up for its health-oriented encouragements, we think Wii Fit will also be a hit with individuals and those who live independently.

(Credit: Jeff Bakalar/CNET Networks)

Miyamoto then proceeded with a demonstration of the Yoga section of Wii Fit. He showed how the balance board helps you become aware of your own balance and posture by displaying it onscreen in a way that is easy to understand. Most people who get on the board for the first time are surprised at how uneven their stance is and are eager to try to improve their overall posture. The game bundled with the balance board is split into two features; a weight and body mass index tracker, and a training section. Once you've created a profile (of course, you can use your Mii character), you take an initial balance test that will combine your age, BMI, and weight, and calculate your Wii Fit age. This number is used to track your progress and ultimately encourage you to get it lowered. Once you start completing the various strength training, aerobic, yoga, and balance games, you earn Fit Credits--the in-game currency that lets you unlock more challenges.

The Wii Fit balance board is quite an advanced piece of hardware. With four sensors in each of the corners on the board, the device has a large spectrum of data it can measure. Miyamoto explained that the board lets your body essentially become the joystick, something rarely attempted in video games.

But where do we go from here? If Wii Fit is as successful in North America as it has been in Japan, there will be a seemingly endless amount of directions Nintendo can take with incorporating the balance board into other applications besides Wii Fit. Miyamoto explained that once there's a solid install-base of Wii Fit users, Nintendo can entertain third-party game developer's interest in creating games that take advantage of the hardware. This has already taken place in Japan with a skiing game from Namco Bandai. Miyamoto even flirted with the idea of incorporating connectivity with the Nintendo DS as a part of Wii Fit--we're certainly hoping that will come to fruition. On whether we could see the balance board being used in first-party Nintendo games, Miyamoto said it's possible that it could be included as an optional input device.

For now, Miyamoto looks ahead to other projects for the Wii, mentioning his desire to continue the Pikmin series.

Wii Fit will go on sale May 19 in North America. Be sure to check CNET in the coming weeks for a full review.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9922578-1.html

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Wii Fit Preview:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/previews/2159 ... i_Fit.html

Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm
Benevolent Host

Came across this today from Penny Arcade:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/wii-fit/

Tue May 06, 2008 8:03 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

First look at 'Wii Fit'

May 14 2008
Jeff Bakalar

Can a video game get you in shape? Nintendo says that Wii Fit will definitely point you in the right direction. With more than 40 exercises and activities, the game helps you keep track of your BMI (body mass index) over a period of time, allowing you to become more aware of your body.

While the game may not have you losing pounds left and right, it'll certainly help you improve your balance and posture--it can even make you work up a sweat.

The Wii Fit package comes with the Wii Fit software and balance board. The board is quite sensitive, with four points of measurement able to sense the slightest of movements. You'll take part in yoga, aerobic, strength training, and balance game exercises all with the help of your virtual personal trainer. The game encourages you to participate in at least one activity a day so that you can more accurately track your progress.

Wii Fit goes on sale May 19 and will retail for $90.

After you've watched our First Look with Wii Fit be sure to also check out our Q&A with Nintendo and Wii Fit mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9944518-1.html

Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Wii Fit »

Run, stretch, ski, and assume the half-moon pose in Wii Fit for the Nintendo Wii. X-Play is bringing the review, right after Yoga class.

Exercise and video games have rarely, if ever, gotten along. The stereotype of an over-weight or under-fit gamer spending hours in front of television screen often hits too close to home. When you love an activity that requires hours of inactivity, exercise resides at the bottom of your “Things to do” list. With the introduction of the Wii, the worlds of exercise and video games became crystal clear. Tossing, batting, and swinging suddenly became as simple as a flick of the wrist. All it would take it to turn this kinetic motion and focus it into an actual workout.

Wii Fit carries that Wii baton by introducing the Wii Balance Board. With a little more than an inch of plastic between you and Terra Firma, the board can judge slight shifts in pressure across the surface. From your two socked feet, the Wii Balance Board knows where you’re placing your body’s center of balance or when you shift it. It’s this shifting balance which works up a little Wii sweat. If only all the menus could keep my heart rate up as well. The Balance board is physically sturdy and regardless of how much intense strength training we did, it never slipped out of place. Unfortunately the batteries run out too frequently which is frustrating for a peripheral you are unable to charge back up.

Read more:
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1779/Wii_Fit.html

Fri May 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Expert: Kids Shouldn't Play 'Wii Fit'

Posted By: Brian Leahy
Friday, May 16, 2008 2:00 PM

Tam Fry of the National Obesity Forum doesn't think that kids should play Wii Fit because it's too harsh at telling kids they are fat.

Tam said, "I'm absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat... BMI is far from perfect but with children it simply should not be used... A child's BMI can change every month and it is perfectly possible for a child to be stocky, yet still very fit... I would be very concerned if children were using this game and I believe it should carry a warning for parents."

While the language might be harsh... wouldn't that be a reason to get a kid to play Wii Fit? What happened to telling it how it is? Should we stop giving kids D's and F's because it makes them feel dumb?

If kids don't learn how to deal with insults and ridicule at an early age, how are they going to deal with all the MySpace predators when they hit a ripe old age of 11?

Kotaku: Expert Says Children Should Be Banned From Wii Fit
http://kotaku.com/5009320/expert-says-c ... om-wii-fit

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/blog/post/685 ... i_Fit.html

Fri May 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Shortages might bog down 'Wii Fit' launch

May 19, 2008 4:47 PM PDT
Posted by Nicole Lee

First Nintendo told us the Wii Fit would launch today on May 19, but the company neglected to mention that was only applicable to the Nintendo World Store launch in New York--the rest of the country still has to wait until May 21 to get their hands on the Wii Fit balance board and video game combo. But wait--if you neglected to preorder a unit, you might not be getting one this May 21, either. Gamestop's online store has a temporarily-out-of-stock warning, and Amazon halted online preorders as early as May 6, with 2.5 units sold every minute. So if you want a Wii Fit, you should plan on heading out to your local video game retailer bright and early this Wednesday, because it looks like units will be in short supply.

A lucky Nintendo customer at the Wii Fit launch in NYC
(Credit: Gamespot)

The price hike on eBay has already begun. From a preliminary search through the auctions, it looks like Wii Fit buyers from the New York Nintendo store have started hawking brand-new units for two to three times more than the retail price of $90. (As of this writing, the highest asking price of a brand-new Wii Fit on eBay is $360.) It looks like the Wii Fit is following the Wii's history of supply and demand. Who knew an exercise video game would be so popular?

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9947787-1.html

Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am

Post Wii Fit
Anyone need one for a good price?
Just the balance board with the 4 carpet riser/feet attachments and a full-complete copy of the Wii Fit game the very first release.

This thing is just taking up room.
If no offers, Ill just throw it out.

Item is large and somewhat heavy, so Id like to keep this within the continental USA.

30 shipping and its yours.
PAYPAL GIFT or add 3 only please

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]