The Mook.Net Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ranged Combat Example Four 
Benevolent Host

Post Ranged Combat Example Four
This thread is for discussion and corrections regarding Ranged Combat Example Four: Sniper Rifle .338 (APHC)/Normal Clothing VS. Unarmed/Tactical Vest with Trauma Plates

Spytte to the WoW adventurers.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:27 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Post Re: Ranged Combat Example Four
Hi there. First, I wanted to say that your combat examples have really helped me cement my understanding of the rules as a GM.

I was thumbing through the rulebook today and noticed sections on surprise and unseen attackers in tactical combat and thought they might apply to this scenario. Since Zach Red can't see his attacker, shouldn't he receive an additional -4 to his dodge (not that he's going to make the roll anyway) [B394]? Also, it seems as though Red would suffer partial surprise [B393] as he was expecting trouble but caught off guard. This would require a roll against IQ to recover from mental stun.

Thanks again for the great examples!

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 pm
Benevolent Host

Hmm - excellent points Bigozzie. I'll put those corrections on the To-Do list.

I really appreciate your taking the time to post - every correction really does help. 8)

Glad the examples were of some use to you too!

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

I like your examples, but have a few questions:

The time spent aiming to gain the 6+3, +2 is not right.

The first second of aiming gives the first number, or the +6. Each second after that adds +1, up to the accuracy of the scope. You can then aim for 2 seconds beyond that for another +2.

In the example Green aimed for 3 seconds, which would only give +8. The base 6, plus 2 more. In his example, he got +9 from acc 6+3 for aiming for 3 seconds, and then another +2 for aiming for two seconds. It takes 6 seconds to get the +11 or the max allowed. The confusion is they're not parallel, they're sequential. Taking 3 seconds to line up a 500 yard shot is pretty fast, and would leave him with just a skill 11. Taking the full 6 seconds seems more on par, and a 14 is good, but to be really sure of your shot, you want a 16 or 17 before you squeeze the trigger.

This is why shooters need the Precision Aiming skill presented in High Tech (and expanded in tactical shooting), because in real life it takes longer than 6 seconds to line up the shot, and after you've lined it up, your odds are better than 50/50% (which is about what a 9 is on 3d6). But I know you're not using those, just noting the fix in the system a later book brings up.

I also think the damage is not right. And this is harder to prove, but. The roll is 9d+1 for got 32, which is fine. He's shooting AP ammo which does half after DR, but also halves DR, this is the effect of the pi- noted. The skull has DR2. The skull also has a wound modifier of x4.

To me, it seems the x1/2 for AP or pi- has been missed. He also says he rolled 32 damage, and the skull has DR2, and so he takes 30. AP ammo halves DR, the DR should have been one. The Wound multiplier of x4 is multiplied by the weapon damage type (PI- or AP) of x0.5, and the end damage should have been x2. Zach is still extra dead having taken 62 points of damage, and having been reduced to -52 HP, and just past "Instant Death", but the weapon shouldn't put you into "Total bodily destruction" cuz it only pops your melon, his body would be largly intact.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 pm
Benevolent Host

Hello Colclark, thanks for posting. I'll look around to find some more info on scopes and how they accrue Aim bonuses - you're the first person who's told me that Acc "6+3" doesn't just pop to '9' after 1 second of aiming, I'll need to find that in the books. 8)

Looks like you're right about the damage though, I believe I miscalculated in there somewhere. I'll try to get this one polished up soon.

Thanks for the input! :2guns:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]