The Mook.Net Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) 

Post Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
The sounds of 'Star Trek': This man makes them happen

by Daniel Terdiman
May 17, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

'Star Trek Into Darkness' sound designer Ben Burtt working in his studio at Skywalker Ranch in Marin County, Calif.
(Credit: Daniel Terdiman/CNET)

NICASIO, Calif. -- Growing up in the 1960s, Ben Burtt was such a big "Star Trek" fan that when he went off to college at a school where he had no TV, he had his father record the audio from each week's episode and mail it to him.

Sitting in his dorm room, Burtt would listen to the shows with headphones on, taking in each new episode with no pictures. But he didn't need the video to understand what was going on. "It was so vividly portrayed with excellent sound effects," Burtt said, "it helped me" with what he wasn't seeing.

Today, Burtt is one of the most important people in the Star Trek ecosystem. As the sound designer on the brand-new "Star Trek Into Darkness," as well as 2009's "Star Trek," along with the last five "Star Wars" films (plus, he worked on the original "Star Wars"), there may not be anyone alive today with a better sense of what it takes to put a major sci-fi movie's sound together.

Read more:

Fri May 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Post Re: Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
Whyd you go away on bf3? miss ya

Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile WWW

Deleted 'Evil' Shower Scene in 'Star Trek' Is Revealed

By Mark Deming | Movie Talk
May 23, 2013

Benedict Cumberbatch stripped down for 'Star Trek,' too (Photo: Paramount/TBS)

All that talk over Alice Eve's underwear scene has J.J. Abrams on the defensive. On TBS's "Conan" on Wednesday night, the mega director pointed out that Chris Pine (who plays Captain Kirk) was shirtless in "Star Trek Into Darkness." He even brought in part of a deleted scene to show O'Brien that when it comes to showing skin in "Star Trek," Abrams is an equal opportunist.

"You've been taking some heat for a scene – I personally didn’t see what the fuss was about myself, I was quite happy about the scene – there's this scene where Alice Eve, Kirk gets a quick look at her in her underwear," O'Brien said.

Read more:

Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Sitting_Duck wrote:
Whyd you go away on bf3? miss ya

Sorry bout that. I got kinda burnt out playing the game last year and I had other games in my library that I needed to play. I think I stopped playing just before the "Close Quarters" (?) DLC. That kinda turned me off since I saw that DLC as an attempt to mimic that other shooter game.

Also, I'm still peeved that DICE toned down the destruction from Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I can kinda understand they don't want almost every building on the map to be leveled but I still don't agree with that decision. Also, along that line, ground damage is almost non-existent. As someone that primarily plays the Engineer kit, my favorite toy is the Anti-Tank mine. In BF:BC2 I was able to kill numerous vehicles with my AT mines from the craters they made in the ground. I would place another set in the same place and a hapless vehicle would come along and get destroyed when they dropped down into the crater. :twisted: :rofl: :twisted:

In BF3, it wasn't as much fun using AT mines since they didn't make craters in the ground when they exploded.

If I don't see any improvements in destructible buildings / environments in BF4, I'll be skipping that game.

Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 pm
Benevolent Host

Not sure yet whether I'll be jumping into BF4 ... guess I'll wait for a few early-adopter reviews first. 8)

Spytte to the WoW adventurers.

Mon May 27, 2013 5:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]