The Mook.Net Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Just Curious ... 
Benevolent Host

Post Just Curious ...
... if anyone has any thoughts, musings, ramblings, suggestions, critiques, complaints, observations, notes on TheMook.Net in general? 8)

Progress site-wise is, what's the word, glacial, but I do make the occasional tweak here and there. :rock:

Just puttering around last night and added a quick Picture Gallery, and made the RPG front page a little purtier:

http://www.themook.net/rpg/

It used to have a style more like this (which I'll eventually change to match the RPG page. Remember glacial?):

http://www.themook.net/sof2/

Clearly not a monument of website building, but sometimes I just like to tinker. But I doubt I have a very objective viewpoint as to the site - I often wonder:

Is it easy enough to navigate?

Is it embarrassingly amateurish, or passable, or pretty good, or ...?

Because it's always grown in chunks and pieces, I've usually maintained independent and dedicated software for different tasks - phpBB2 for the message boards, WordPress for the blog, good ol' PHP for the overall framework, etc. Personally I like that, but is it a little too ragtag?

Anything I should add? Make bigger? Smaller? Get rid of? Change?

Is having that "TheMook.Net" logo with a home link at the upper left of pretty much every page overkill?

Is there too much money grubbing? Google ads, Amazon stuff, LBA stuff ... it all seems innocuous enough, but I don't want to whore out so much people find it annoying. :twisted:

I'm really pretty open to suggestions is what I'm saying :roll: :roll:

Though I make no promises about any change actually being made before 2011 :shock:

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

wheres the fucking webcam dude? Nothing better than vegging out watching you vegging out :)

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Benevolent Host

wheres the fucking webcam dude? Nothing better than vegging out watching you vegging out :)

Hehe, sick bastard!

I'll try to rescue that thing from the mothballs - it's annoying having the menu button there with nothing but a placeholder page ... irks my OCD :shock:

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

haha yeah the webcam was sweeeeet! Whole lotta vegging going on. The pic gallery is cool. You look insanely tall however ?!

The spambots on the board suck. Speaking of OCD for some reason I feel compelled to read every post even when I know its spam. Thats kinda irksome. But other than that I would say its all highly fuctional.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Benevolent Host

haha yeah the webcam was sweeeeet! Whole lotta vegging going on. The pic gallery is cool. You look insanely tall however ?!

The spambots on the board suck. Speaking of OCD for some reason I feel compelled to read every post even when I know its spam. Thats kinda irksome. But other than that I would say its all highly fuctional.

Well well well, who knew the webcam had been such a hit? LoL :shock:

I'm not actually insanely tall, just a very sane 6' even ... the womenfolk of my clan, however, are teeny tiny 8)

Spambots do in fact suck! And OCD or not, I have to read even their posts to determine if they need to get booted :rant: :rant: :rant:

Still, I have fun keeping the site more-or-less intact, just always on the lookout for ways to make it better. :rock: :rock:

(Personally I thought the Flash Games would be more popular, but they're almost never visited - so I'm trying to avoid those kinds of projects, the ones that take a lot of effort to put together but don't really enhance the community at all).

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:48 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]